Monday, April 27, 2009

Pre and Post Op


We have such amazing family and friends! A few days before surgery my friends planned a girls nite out, (this photo), our kids cooked a wonderful dinner, other friends cleaned our house, and even did the laundry! Everyone is still spoiling us - cooking, shopping, cleaning, and spending time with us so Rusty can get some work done! Ya'll are great!!!! (Thanks to Danielle for the great photo!)

Our family was at the hospital all day waiting thru the 4 surgeries. That evening a dearest friend from Ga. flew out with my 81 year old mom to be with us. Post op our kids took turns going back and forth between rooms sitting with me, checking on David and relieving Rusty. They rented hotel rooms for Mom and Charlotte, fed them, and shuttled them around for 5 days.

I did some really bizarre things - most of which I don't remember.... I had my cell phone, and called practically everyone I knew in Utah and Ga. I would talk a little, fall asleep in midsentence, then talk some more, usually saying things that made no sense. Mixing up the time zones, I called Molly Mills at 5 am, and after babbling I SANG to her. And she didn't chew me out!

Rusty asked Tracie to go find the cell phone and take it away from me - I called him about 10 times one day. She found it under the covers, and thought I was hiding it. Nope - just hurt too much to reach left sided to the table.....

Everyone has asked me if I scared - yep. At first i was just nervous. Then a few days before surgery, I saw a photo of a preop belly with magic marker circles on the places they were gonna poke me, and I freaked out. For some reason those little black marks made it real.

Afterward, I had a priesthood blessing, and from that point on I was very calm. It was one of the few times in my life except after the day I was baptized that I felt all was just right between me and God. I surely wanted to stay in this life, but if I didn't make it, I knew it would be ok and I would see everyone later on.

Today David has felt great and his labs are good. I also talked to K the donor and M the recipient ,and both are fine. It was all so worth it!

1 comment:

Sue said...

You have given me my laugh of the day with your cell phone antics while under the influence of anesthesia and other meds. Since I work in Anesthesiology, I am really getting a kick out of this.
I know it is wonderful to have your Mom there. That was a real treat.